Here, for your viewing enjoyment: Austria and the Alps!
First off, to Vienna:
Here, you can see the palace Schönbrunn, which I find very difficult to pronounce and where the Hapsburgs lived from... er, whenever they built it until Austria lost WWI. This is actually a view of the palace from the garden. And I think I took more pictures of that stork than of the palace and garden combined.
Here, you can see the palace Schönbrunn, which I find very difficult to pronounce and where the Hapsburgs lived from... er, whenever they built it until Austria lost WWI. This is actually a view of the palace from the garden. And I think I took more pictures of that stork than of the palace and garden combined.
On Sunday, since nothing was open, Cathy and I went to the top of one of the towers of Stephansdom. Legend has it that the cathedral was supposed to have two towers (spires?); one was finished. Unfortunately, various tragedies kept happening at the top of the other tower: people falling to their deaths, perhaps a fire, I don't remember exactly. So after a couple of tries, they just stopped building where they were, put a little roof on it, and were done. This is the tower we went up. No wonder the fencing up there was so high.Oh yeah, the roof of the cathedral was rebuilt post-WWII, hence the date.
The hills are alive in Salzburg...
The Festung: It puts the 'burg' in 'Salzburg'! I think someone should put that on a t-shirt.
Then we went back to Germany, via Berchtesgaden and the Alps:
Kehlsteinhaus, Hitler's hideaway/vacation home. It was his 50th birthday present from the NSDAP. When I turn 50, I want someone to pick a mountain in the Alps, build a road almost to the top, dynamite a hole in the middle to create an elevator up to the peak, transport tons of raw materials up there, and build me a house. Funny thing was, Hitler didn't even like the house so much, or spend a whole lot of time there. But how could you ever get tired of the view?
Amazing.The End.
On an unrelated note, Müs is coming to visit tomorrow!! Woo!
2 comments:
I know you're with your brother, but post a quick update letting us all know that you're okay!
I find it really hard to pronounce, too...
So glad you're safe. :-)
Post a Comment