26 June 2006

Requisite story about trains and almost missing them

Group dynamics are much better, though a little strange; I think the traveling this weekend helped 'group bonding' a little bit. Although I guess that wouldn't be considered group bonding, as there were a few smaller groups. At least I got to know some people a little better... nothing like being ridiculous and overtired on trains to help friendships along.

The train story: I went to Dresden on Saturday with a group of 4, and was returning with Pam (not to be confused with Pamela) that same evening. After getting up at 6.15, three hours on a train, and a day of fighting crowds of elderly tourists and 90° heat, we were rather exhausted. We had to change trains two times on the way back, once in Elsterwelde-Biehlau and once in Falkenberg (Elster), both of which coincidentally have really long names and are in the middle of freaking nowhere, in Brandenburg. (not to equate 'nowhere' with 'Brandenburg', but if you know anything about Brandenburg, it makes the story better) Anyway, I heard the woman get on the PA system on the train, announcing the connections for the town at which we were arriving, and I heard her say 'Elsterwelde', so Pam and I got off. As we got out, I was like, 'Wow, that was early; the Deutsche Bahn is never early.'

Lo and behold, we got off in Elsterwelde, which is not Elsterwerde-Biehlau. And we had 5 minutes between connections, so we had about 8 minutes to make it to the real station and get to our next train before we were stuck in this rinky-dink town in Brandenburg. We get to the ticket counter in the station; there's no one there. We get to the front of the train station; lo and behold, there is one lonely taxi. I'm like, 'Pam, get in the cab!' She's like, 'Maybe we should first make sure we're at the wrong station...' I'm like, 'Get in the cab!' We get in, tell the driver to step on it, he convinces us that we'll make it while I'm cursing under my breath. Four minutes, three minutes, two minutes left. The driver says, 'Why don't you get the money ready.' Finally, we pull up to the station, I hand him a five Euro bill, and we jump out of the cab. There's no train there...it's 8.25, when the connection was supposed to be. Did we miss it? The taxi driver is hanging around just in case we are stuck in this teeny Dorf with probably no place to stay. Suddenly the PA system sounds, and an announcement: The train is coming! Gott sei Dank! We say goodbye to the taxi driver (who probably then went home and told his wife about the two crazy Americans whom he drove to the next train station over) and get on the train.

And then I got hit on by the ticket-taker for the Deutsche Bahn. But that's a story for another time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you've got to tell me about getting hit on by the ticket-taker. ;-) Sounds like a real Kodak moment...

Might take Kirk to Wittenberg when we finally make it over to Germany to visit...

Going to have to get my blog back up sometime soon... we'll see.

MfG,
Jen

Heto said...

What is it with Jens who don't log in to blogger? My Jen does that too!

Anyway, I think it's Dresden... I've always had rotten luck trying to visit that city. Too bad it's so beautiful that people can't resist!

Hope you're having a great time - is it inappropriate to put in a request for various German delicacies (chocolate, Haribo, usw. usw.)? Haha! See you in a few weeks! (OMG - Pamela's getting married in a few weeks!!)

Bridget said...

Yay for Jen almost having a blog!

PS- My word verification is 'qworb.' Ein Bienchen to anyone who can use that in a correct-sounding sentence.