23 June 2006

wtf?

Being in Germany and in WB again is fabulous, but to be honest, I am a little disappointed in the program this week. It has included a 3-hour long speed-walk through Wörlitz (a park; you wouldn't think you'd need to speed-walk if you had 3 hours, but the park is huge) and a lecture that was not helpful at all. However, our teacher is excellent and so nice; she has invited us over for coffee during the last week of the course.

The key weirdness here is the lack of group camraderie. I miss the hanging out with friends, inside jokes and generally being ridiculous; here, it's sort of clique-y, and I don't fit in with any of them. Who knew you could have cliques in a group of 11! It all feels very superficial, which I suppose is a typical American trait, but seriously. Can someone please be my friend?

Who knew you could feel lonely when you're constantly with a group, in a town where you know 1/3 of the population.

3 comments:

Heto said...

Oh, who is your teacher? With which family are you staying? Have you met up with Jess yet for a Döner or some Eis?

I'm sorry the group is kind of crappy... sometimes you'll have that. Trust me, most of the groups I dealt with got very clique-y; I think it comes with being in a foreign land, as most people *haven't* lived there before. It'll get better, and if it doesn't, it's only for 2 more weeks! :)

Jessica said...

The two folks we were with at Brauhaus seemed nice enough... have they joined up with cliques?

You can join ours. We don't do much, but we do it together.

If nothing else, we can discuss techniques for feeling lonely in a city where you know 1/3 of the population. I consider myself something of an expert. :-)

Bridget said...

Thanks, guys. I'll tell you both all about it, but not here. *eyes shiftily around the room...er...Internet*