I've been listening to the 24-hour Christmas music station a lot recently, and I feel a need to share my opinion on this subject with the Internet world. As if you wanted to know, here it comes:
the Unofficial List of Worst Christmas Songs I Have Ever (Or, At Least Recently) Heard!
1. Last Christmas, by Wham! -- I know some people are going to strongly disagree with me on this one, but I seriously cannot stand this song. Whiny, obnoxious, self-pitying... and who can forget that chorus. ('Laaaaaaaaaast Christmas, I gave you my heart [gave you my heart]...) Good god, it's annoying me just thinking about it. Plus, this song reminds me of spending Christmas in Germany; apparently, this song is what the Germans associate with American Christmas carols. Ugh.
2. Wonderful Christmas Time, by Paul McCartney -- [picture this on a synthesizer:] WOW wow wow wow wow wow... WOW wow wow wow wow wow... I love you, Paul McCartney, but the synthesizer was really a poor choice. Plus, I highly doubt the children have been practicing their Christmas songs all year; it's probably been a month and a half at most.
3. Anything by the Beach Boys -- I don't think I really need to explain this one.
4. That Christmas shoes song -- Someone needs to tell the music executives that a heartfelt song does not equal sappiness. Who thinks that a song contrived to wring out every drop of sympathy from your soul, backed up by a children's choir (subtlety, nice!), is actually going to convey the spirit of the Christmas season? Apparently listeners can't draw conclusions; they need to be smacked in the face with a message and be told what to think.
5. Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer -- Speaking of Christmas messages, here's a real winner. Nothing says 'Merry Christmas' like the untimely death of a close relative, bad grammar and stupid jokes.
On the flip side, two amazing Christmas songs:
1. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen by Nat King Cole -- Actually, anything by Nat King Cole is fantastic, but this carol is my favorite to begin with. I love me some Christmas carols set in a minor key. I can (and have) set this song on repeat and listened to it over and over.
2. O Holy Night from 'Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip' -- Okay, it's from a TV show. The musicians who played this original version are from New Orleans and were sponsored by the Tipitina Fund, which is working on rebuilding the musical tradition of the city. When I was watching the show, this song gave me goosebumps; I got online to download it the next day. (available for listening or downloading here)
I'm curious to hear opinions on this. What are your most loved/despised Christmas songs? Not that this blog has a vast readership or anything, but I'm sure that between the 5 or so of us, we could come up with some pretty good lists.
12 December 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
OH MY GOD I am so with you on the worst songs list. Although, at the store, we actually quite enjoy Last Christmas -- it's a great song to dance like a fool.
I really enjoy the songs that (incidentally) remind me of Home Alone... you know, White Christmas when he's in the bathroom after his shower, Rockin Around the Christmas Tree when he's got the fake party in the living room. And the Victoria's Secret Christmas mix from either 04 or 05 is really good, too. A great blend of old and new.
Oh come oh come Emmanual is by far my favorite, and I like Heather agree with the dislike list!
by the way, the last post was from me ~Pamela
Hetta- I actually have a couple of CDs from Victoria's Secret... my mom used to work there (fragrance dept.)! Not in '04-'05, though.
Pamela- I agree on 'O Come O Come Emmanuel'... haven't heard that one in a long time. Again, yay for Christmas carols in minor.
Best Christmas Songs - The Top 100 Christmas Songs of All Time !, and Graphics, ecards, Carols.Love songs, words, Freie Weihnachtslieder.Best Christmas Songs, lirics, Weihnachtslieder, listen, all, online,funny, xmas, online, xmas, funny, carols, kids, card, favorite, greeting, cute, favorites, holiday, beautiful, cute.
Post a Comment