27 August 2007

I'll just play violin on the street for money

Out of curiosity (no bitterness, none at all), I was checking out the people who've been awarded that prestigious scholarship I was going for, the one that would have paid for all my costs. There are 48 of them, and I'd say that at least 40 are going into fields that have something to do with science, mostly biochem or molecular biology. Does this seem unfair to anyone? I mean, a big part of this scholarship's application is showing how you intend to help others with the education you'll have received at Cambridge; are they saying that teaching children a second language isn't worthwhile? Granted, it's not curing cancer or anything, but how many people are going to do that? A few, eventually. How many people could be more effective teachers, by reading (my future) research? Hundreds of thousands, immediately. (perhaps that's overestimating just a little...) So I'm a little annoyed at that.

Also, check out where they're from: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, UPenn. Dude, if you could afford to go to these undergrad schools, then you obviously don't need a scholarship anywhere else. Also (#2), some of these people are from places like Chappaqua, NY. Are you freaking kidding me?! You clearly don't need any extra money.

Or it could just be that I don't run marathons in my spare time, or I'm not smart enough, or I'm not like this guy: '[I] have completed graduate math and physics classes since freshman year at Duke. In addition, I have studied Victorian literature at Oxford, globalization in Geneva, applied math in Budapest, particle physics at CERN and microfinance in rural China.' Good lord:

  • (a) I can't compete with that,
  • (b) Pompous, what?

Sorry if that's mean. But throw me a frickin' bone here.

No comments: